Sunday, July 24, 2011

Introducing Fido's Shaving Brush Blog

Please note - every brush in my collection was purchased by me. There are no "freebies" here. Each brush has been used by me to enable me to write a wholly impartial review of how it has performed.





And there's more!

Preface

After completing this blog  I decided to use some of the knowledge I gained from my research and from using the wide variety of brushes described here. As a result, New Forest Brushes has now been established. The purpose of this venture is to enable me to design, have made and supply a small number of popular brushes that will meet the needs of enthusiasts at an affordable price. This is has been achieved by dealing directly with an established manufacturer, and a local craftsman and selling direct to customers. My brushes will be listed from time to time on the website below.


This blog makes no other reference to these brushes.


Blogs need to be read backwards, so it's a case of finding the oldest post and working back to here.
This is about shaving brushes in general and my collection in particular. I decided to assemble a collection of brushes across a range of prices and makers and brands, to provide some details about each brush and to express my opinions about them. Where I have found them, I have added links to other reviews to provide a more balanced assessment.
As with many things, it takes time to appreciate a shaving brush. As it gets used it settles down and you find the best way of using it to suit your preferences. So I will keep the blog updated if I discover new things about a brush. Treat all reviews with caution. I am judging brushes against my own criteria. After using many different shapes and sizes and brushes with different degrees of firmness I know what I like in a brush. I like to feel in control of the brush head. So I prefer smaller and shorter knots - no more than 22mm or much above 50mm loft. You may prefer larger, softer brushes - its all down to personal preferences.
I also like to feel I am getting good value. Brushes vary widely in price. And there isn't always a direct relationship between quality and price. But this too is a very personal thing. You pay your money and make your choice.
I hope you find something of interest here. I am not an expert. I don't go into great detail in my comments - just general impressions - you will find much more information in the many reviews to which I provide links.
If you have anything you would like to say, please do add comments to the post about which you have an opinion. It will be much appreciated - even if critical!

I love using my shaving brushes. Casting an eye over them to decide which one to use each day is part of the fun of this crazy obsession of ours.

Thank you for looking in.

12 comments:

  1. Hi

    You should check out http://www.brushexpert.com/directory/brush-item.asp?DirSectionID=1&DirCategoryID=2&DirItemID=5 for a list of shaving brush manufacturers worldwide.

    My favourites are made by City of London 18th Century Brush Makers - check out their online shop. The Big 5 brushes are something special!

    alice@brushexpert.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I'll check out the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really impressed by your collection!!
    Except for the octagonal handle Plisson, I have only a Menu U Premier Synthetic Shaving Brush, which loses a hair now and then. I bought this recently as I am a bit worried about the chinese handling of the badgers. (Many badger brushes are made in China.)
    It causes small droplets of water/cream to fall on the mirror, probably due to the bigger flexibility of the "hair" compared to the organic hair from the badger. Some practice will solve this hopefully.
    What about promoting synthetic brushes considering the possible bad handling of badgers in China?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do have any specific links which discuss the way badgers are culled please let me know. Badger brushes are by far the most effective for creating and applying lather. All types of brush will do a job but they don't match the better quality badgers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fido.

    Wow I like your collection and all the research you made on all those brushes. I like the video. I like everything that is handcraft.
    Well done. You must enjoy your retirement with this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! And good luck with your new product designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice site. I really like the transparency of your approach and the wealth of knowledge you share. It makes me excited to try out one of your brushes once I make up my mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. The research I did to create this blog was a delight to me. If it has served a use for others that too is great to know. Thanks for taking the trouble to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.

    Makeup Brush Set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Bear in mind I am no longer updating this blog!

      Delete
  10. Wow Great blog, i really appreciate it that you shared with us such a awesome brushes. Thanx for sharing this informative blog. Keep sharing more.

    ReplyDelete